Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Stage 2, Featherston - Masterton, 120km

Don here, just a brief update between stages, we're all a bit knackered ... as you can see!! In fact, I think I'm the only bike rider awake at the moment.
Featherston was at it's gale-force best when we arrived this morning, and many a concerned expression could be seen. Personal memories of racing down Lake Road many years ago resurfaced, struggling to stay between the hedges and with my helmet being blown around the side of my head ... fortunately it wasn't really too bad during the very exposed opening 10km, and once past the foot of the lake a southerly change lead to a pretty straightfoward race.

Coming into Martinborough after about 50km a break of eight or so riders headed up the road, with Gordon McCauley emerging victorious in Masterton. Paul should probably take the prize for most agressive, attacking at least five times in the opening 30mins but rewarded with only sore legs ... this time. The largely unintact bunch including all of Team Petone Water rolled in around 90 seconds later ... that time gap is provisional of course ... thus the stage winner takes the yellow jersey and not much has changed.

Time for the evening criterium now, which I suspect will hurt a lot more. But first, time for some of the awesome coffee we recieved in our race packs. I'm not sure where it comes from but when I find out, I'll be sure to mention it ... once I've secured myself a good supply of course!!

2 comments:

Jamez Barnes said...

Hey Don, Howz it hanging? Hope all goes well, i'm dead envious of you guys racing already in the sunshine - whilst here we're freezing are arses off(0°) just for a bit of base training!! Keep the posts coming it's good to see you back racing, just 6 weeks to go for me now... BRRR BRRR BRRR

Gran said...

Hi Don,

We are all very impressed here that you have survived so far... and the picture of a man lying on a bed made Angela's day! Remember only one coffee a day and put down those podium girls - at least until I have vetted them!!! Off to crochet you a new bike helmet, Gran